Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Suzuki Carry - Petrol Consumption

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Re: Suzuki Carry - Petrol Consumption

Postby mickcafc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi all, I am getting about 240-250 miles from a full tank. Mostly country type roads with fair bit of stop start. Is this a bit low? I think the exhaust is blowing from a join (its only 2 years old) so could this make a large difference? Taking it in for a check on exhaust Friday. Thanks guys, Mick.
mickcafc
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:12 pm

It depends on what is meant by "a full tank" ! The petrol-tank on the Carry is nominally of 40-litres capacity but when 'full-to-the-brim' (which includes the petrol in the hose from the filler-cap to the tank) is a little more than this. However, I'm sure 'mickcafc', by "full tank", is not meaning 40 litres of petrol gives him only 250 miles.

To get an accurate figure for petrol consumption, one must fill the tank to the brim; note the mileage reading; then fill to the brim again next time; and subtract the previous reading from the present mileage to get the figures for calculating an accurate mpg. Relying on the automatic cut-off at the pump will not give an accurate figure as the actual cut-off point varies from pump to pump.

As stated in an earlier posting, I usually get at least 9 miles to the litre but now often achieve nearly 10 as in recent years I drive somewhat slower. [10 miles per litre is about 45 miles per gallon] At age 77 I rarely exceed 50/55 mph as I know my reaction time must a little slower now than five years ago. As there is no low-petrol warning light on the Carry, I usually fill up when just below the ¼-full mark which means I receive about 30 litres.

So, if 'mickcafc' is getting 250 miles from 25 to 27 litres of petrol, then all is well. However, if he is consuming 30 litres to travel 250 miles (assuming normal driving conditions) then I suggest his Carry is somewhat "thirsty". Of course, the general condition of the vehicle is also an important factor.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby mickcafc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi again, my Carry is Suzuki serviced yearly and very well cared for. Full to the brim is always the way I fill her and refill when just above the red. I was estimating the 240-250 mpg taking into account rate of useage of gas and what was left in tank. I will inform you of any change after I have had the exhaust leak addressed. Thank you for your input, Mick.
mickcafc
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 am

mickcafc wrote:... I was estimating the 240-250 mpg ...

I don't think so :lol: :lol: :lol:
IanL
Awesome

Postby mickcafc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 am

I must have been away to long. What dont you think? Is 240-250 miles on a full tank about right? Oh, just had a re read NOW I get it :D
mickcafc
Point of no return

Postby decorman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi Alan
I get 38-39 miles per gallon round town and about 41 on a run, mine is a 55reg, 93k on the clock and carry a bit of weight in it. got me wondering who as clocked the most miles on this site.

Regards

Decorman
decorman
The Welcome Party

Postby alanbirt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Following the renewed interest in this forum-thread by "mickcafc's" posting, details of the petrol consumption of my Carry campervan during a recent eleven-day journey to Scotland and back may be of relevance. On motorways and trunk-roads my speed was about 50/55 mph but down to 45 on single-carriageway country roads. May I hasten to add that, if a few cars were following, I always pulled-over on narrow roads to allow them to pass.

Before leaving Bury St Edmunds I filled the petrol-tank to the brim and noted the odometer reading was 74490. Two days later I again re-filled to the brim at Alston in Cumbria with 32.84 litres and the reading was 74818 so I had travelled 328 miles. The easy calculation shows a consumption of 10 miles per litre, or 45 mpg.

Another two days of travel brought me to Aviemore where I filled up with 34.60 litres at mileage 75163, a distance of 345 miles and again a petrol consumption of 10 litres per mile.

Having visited various places around the Aberdeen area, I eventually arrived at Inverness two days later where I again filled up with 27.42 litres. As I was then proceeding into the Highlands where petrol is much more expensive - I saw the price of £1.48 per litre of 95-octane petrol shown at one remote garage ! - I filled with petrol even though I still had about one-third of the tank still available. The odometer reading was 75449 which gave the distance covered since my last fill-up as 286 miles, therefore indicating nearly 10½ miles per litre or 47 mpg.

My journey through the mountains in the west of Scotland was, of necessity, at a reduced speed of 40 mph or less as many of the roads were single-track with passing-places. In addition, the inclines were such that third-gear was often necessary and even second-gear on some of the steeper parts.

Three days later I was back in Edinburgh and refilled with 32.90 litres at a reading of 75779, a difference of 328 miles, again giving a consumption of 10 litres per mile. I found this figure to be quite surprising considering the low-gear travel in the mountains but on re-checking I found my calculation was accurate.

Two days later, having travelled down most of the A1 and A1(M) roads on the inside-lane at about 55mph, I arrived home at Bury St Edmunds and refilled my petrol-tank with 35.74 litres. The odometer showed 76153, a distance from Edinburgh of 376 miles. This again indicated a petrol consumption of about 10½ miles per litre (47 mpg).

Overall, the total distance travelled was 1663 miles, having used 163½ litres of fuel and therefore working out at 10 miles per litre or 45 mpg.

I hope this is of interest to other forum-members. I acknowledge that most of the travelling was on country roads with little 'start-stop' in towns. I doubt if more than 40 mpg could be obtained in normal town-driving conditions.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby mickcafc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi Alan, thank you very much for your in depth report. I get nowhere near that but drive a little more aggressively. I had a kink in my exhaust fixed, no idea how it happened, but has made no difference. Maybe she just needs a full service again, even though plugs and oil/filter have been done in the last year of minimal mileage. Anyway, moving on, I hope you thorougly enjoyed your travels and thanks once again. Have a good weekend, Mick.
mickcafc
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:36 pm

I've been thinking further about the petrol consumption of the Carry.

My vehicle is not heavily loaded. The passenger seat has been removed to make room for the bunk and the campervan conversion additions are of quite light construction. The only extra items with any significant weight are the leisure battery and the 25-litre water-tank. However, the water-tank is rarely filled to the top - it was half-full for my recent Scottish trip and still about a quarter-full upon my return home. There is no point in carrying the extra weight of too much water !

I am sure both "decorman's" and "mickcafc's" Carrys are well-loaded and so will be much heavier than mine. I assume "decorman" is carrying his tools, equipment and materials in his vehicle whilst I am aware that "mickcafc's" Carry is actually an ice-cream sales van and so will be well-loaded with all the essential equipment needed for this trade. I seem to recall from another thread on this forum that "mickcafc" has fitted a high-powered alternator in his Carry. This will certainly give further physical weight and also produce an extra torque-load on the engine which will, of course, be detrimental to his petrol-consumption figure. As both "decorman" and "mickcafc" are 'earning-their-pennies' with their vehicles and 'time-being-money', the leisurely way in which I drive around is not appropriate for their use of the Carry van.

So, although I often achieve 10 miles to the litre (or 45 mpg) with my Carry, this is probably the best figure obtainable but only in my recreational mode of travelling. A Carry being used for its designed purpose as a WORK-vehicle is unlikely to achieve much more than 8½ / 9 litres per mile (about 38 / 40 mpg) at best.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby cap43 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 pm

MPG = Suzuki 1.3 05 plate.
My tests are no where near what you ppl get, rural drive on 50/50 A & B roads 300 miles to the tank, (almost run out of fuel) @ 35 mpg, This is with an empty van,
Motorway only got 37.5 mpg and that was steady 55s, I`m an ex trucker and think nothing of sitting behind a R/tic,
how you can get 40+ with a CAMPER VAN on country roads evades me.
cap43
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:54 pm

I commiserate with 'cap43' about his petrol consumption. Even in my early days with the Carry when, being a little younger then at just under 70 years, I used to drive somewhat more vigorously than now but still achieved over 40 mpg, and quite often 43.

I had my Carry from new and it has been regularly serviced by a good family-run Suzuki agent. This is based in a town some 30 miles away but it is worth travelling a 60-mile round-trip for the servicing as I regard my local Suzuki agency to be 'a bunch of crooks and liars', an opinion formed from previous experiences with my other Suzuki vehicle. (My 12-year-old Wagon R+ is also now looked after very well by the good Suzuki agent)

Perhaps the 'cap43' Carry needs a good tuning session with a reliable Suzuki agent ? Has it been well looked after in its previous ownership ? Are the brakes rubbing ? Does the cataliser (spelling ?) need replacing ? Just some thoughts for consideration.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby cap43 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Just been to a garage,
FULL service,
That means a walk around it, just to make sure it is there actually in the garage, Then the heavy work starts = 4 plugs an oil filter and oil change, £ 250 sobs, THANK YOU, :cry: :evil: :evil:
I think they forgot it has a gearbox and diff, n wheel Barings n needs to pass a quality test for the cat"
But then again, all that comes at an extra charge,
But you would think that FULL SERVICE would mean a bit more than plugs n oil,

PS, Alan
I believe catalectic converters are about £400.00. They must be Persian cats at that price. :lol:
cap43
Point of no return

Re: Servicing Cost

Postby alanbirt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:29 pm

..... but the service plus the MoT certificate for my Carry which I had done in late-April (so I could Road-Tax it from 1st May) cost only *£138.95 ! Certainly this included the gearbox, differential, checking of wheel bearings and brakes, tracking of wheels, etc, as well as the cost of oil, brake fluid, a rear lamp-bulb (which I hadn't realised was not working) and other incidentals. And I received a full written report concerning all the items covered, with further notes about possible future work which might be needed sometime.

This is a regular booking with the Suzuki agent in April each year. I usually travel about 9,000 miles each summer season but it has been somewhat less this summer as I've not been in the best of spirits - age-weariness I suppose.

* I've just confirmed the amount by looking on-line at my credit-card statement for May of this year.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby cap43 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:28 pm

£150 for what really seems like a FULL SERVICE for you, :mrgreen:
£250 for an oil change for me,
It would benefit me to run over to your garage with my van,
Even at a 200 mile round trip,
At least it would get more than LOOKED AT< :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
cap43
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Returning to the topic of petrol consumption by the Carry, the total weight being moved by the engine of the vehicle must affect the overall petrol consumption. Some weeks ago I was visiting a commercial establishment but had to 'sign-in' at the entry-control cabin. To do this I parked temporarily on the weighbridge by the control cabin. When signing-in I also saw the LED display indicating the weight of my Carry: it showed 1080 kg. (I did ask if that was the accurate weight and was assured it was so)

I have stated previously that my campervan is quite lightly loaded. The bunk and other furniture is of lightweight construction. Taking the kerbside weight of my Carry before the conversion as 850 kg, this means my 'load' is only 230 kg *†*. The Carry is rated to convey a freight load of about 600kg, so my vehicle is obviously quite lightly-loaded, hence my particularly good MPG.

As "mickcafc's" Carry is a fully-converted ice-cream vending vehicle and must have heavy refrigeration equipment fitted, it would interesting to know the overall weight of his Carry. My guess is that it will be near the maximum recommended total weight of 1450 kg. Moving that extra weight around will explain his somewhat lower MPG.

*†* For more information about the official kerbside weight and fully-loaded weight of the Carry, please see my recent posting earlier today in the "1 Tonne on the Carry" thread (fifth message) which can be read at:-

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22689&p=74800#p74800
alanbirt
Awesome

PreviousNext

Return to Suzuki Carry Van