Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Suzuki Carry - Petrol Consumption

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Postby alanbirt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 pm

It would be interesting to know about other people's experience of the petrol consumption by their Suzuki Carry vans. My vehicle, now a one-berth motorhome, has just given me 9 miles to the litre [or 41 miles to the gallon] on some hard driving during my recent 9-day tour in Jutland, Denmark, and further hard driving on the A11 earlier today. I am most satisfied with this. My car, a Suzuki Wagon R+, regularly gives me 10 miles to the litre [45 miles to the gallon], this also with hard driving.

I am very pleased with these performances. No doubt others with a softer touch on the right-hand pedal will be doing much better.

Sqn Ldr Alan Birt
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby pdc4770 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 pm

I get high 30s driving in an urban environment but rarely in the rush hour.
pdc4770

Re: Suzuki Carry - Petrol Consumption

Postby vanpanman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:00 pm

alanbirt wrote:It would be interesting to know about other people's experience of the petrol consumption ........hard driving.......... Sqn Ldr Alan Birt

A good point and something that I am recording as and from yesterday when I filled the van up to the 'brim' - and will check that used against the mileage when I next fill up. It does indicate engine condition when you have a fair mileage under the belt.

As a matter of interest what do you class as 'hard driving' Alan - if you are flat out in every gear the return you get is remarkable - all things considered.
vanpanman
The Welcome Party

Suzuki Carry - Petrol Consumptuion

Postby alanbirt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:19 pm

With reference to the previous posting, by 'hard driving' I mean up through the gears for quick acceleration and driving at 70 mph on the motorway etc. I do find that I need to check the speedo quite often when on the motorway as it does creep up the scale so easily, without me realising it. Yesterday, on the A11, I suddenly noticed that I was at 85 ! There was no strain indicated from the engine. I slowed down as soon as I realised my speed - I don't want to be a "naughty boy" and get penalty points.

Sqn Ldr Alan Birt
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby vanpanman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:35 pm

Could not wait 'till I needed a tank full to see results so after the first 154 miles the van has recorded 44.03 miles to a gallon of fuel :D

Delighted as I have yet to fully fathom out the noises coming from the back axle which must be putting a 'brake' on the free running.

A good trip out on Sunday planned involving motorway miles so we wait for that one - not bad for an engine that has done 83k and in total cost less than a half decent pushbike! 8)
vanpanman
The Welcome Party

Postby vanpanman » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:58 pm

vanpanman wrote:44.03 miles to a gallon

)

Apologises folks - I have reworked my spreadsheet calculation and found the mistake - it should read 42.32 miles per gallon not as stated - will try harder next time..... :shock:

Waiting to see what 350 plus motorway miles achieved - hopefully a little more. 8)
vanpanman
The Welcome Party

Postby vanpanman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:12 pm

Well the news is that the 'long run' 300 + miles mainly motorway at 65 - 75 ish produced a return of 38.03 mpg - somewhat less than I had expected. :(

The only reasons that I can come up with so far are a) the missus was with me (added weight), - b) the rain never stopped on the way and back again, - c) I had 3 cwt extra in the back on the return or d) - it is not happy at motorway speeds as compared to the initial figures.

It might be that the tank did not fill as full on the first topup as the second (uneven surface), I still have to change the plugs and the back axle is obviously draining some of the mpg but not too much.

Anyone else got their exact figures :?:

Methodology used - tank to tank - total cost of fuel - divided by ppl - divided by 4.5461 (litres to gallons) - divided in to the mileage between fill up's.
vanpanman
The Welcome Party

Suzuki Carry petrol consumption

Postby alanbirt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:49 pm

I have just returned from a 10-day tour in the Irish Republic in my Suzuki Carry motorcaravan, having travelled 1,507 miles door to door. My overall petrol consumption was 44.2 miles per gallon with which I am well pleased.
I did not travel on any motorways but did experience some narrow, twisting, steep roads in the Irish mountains in Co Cork and Co Kerry which needed much low-gear driving. I was two days travelling from East Anglia to Pembroke for the ferry, 10 days in south and south-west Ireland, then two days back across Wales and England. As petrol is only about the equivalent of 70p per litre in the Republic, I arranged it that my tank was almost empty when I joined the ferry at Pembroke but it was “full to the brim” when I came back from Rosslare !
I much enjoyed my holiday and am extremely pleased with the performance of my vehicle, especially the low petrol consumption.

Sqn Ldr Alan Birt
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby vanpanman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:29 pm

Hello Alan,

Nice to hear all went well on the holiday and a good return on mpg.

I have now completed 1460 miles of mixed short and long journies and recorded 39.46 mpg throughout that time. Quite delighted but need to get it over the 40 if possible so any tips would be most welcome.
vanpanman
The Welcome Party

Postby gavin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Do any of those fuel figures apply to the 1.3 version?, anyone know how economical they are?
gavin
gavin

Postby vanpanman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi Gavin

Yes mine is the 1.3 with 80k on the clock - runs like a sewing machine but then again it is japanese!
vanpanman
The Welcome Party

Petrol Consumption

Postby alanbirt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Yes, mine too is the 1300 version; 55 reg; one of the last to be registered in UK

Sqn Ldr Alan Birt
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby calscoot » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi,

I have a 52 reg (2003) Carry which Ive owned since new, 35000 miles on it. Personally I get close on 50mpg on a decent motorway run, Ive found the trick is to hang around 56 mph (As is the case with most modern cars).
I judge how well im doing by how many miles I get from a tank full. Around 260 around town and 370 on long runs out.
calscoot

Petrol Consumption

Postby alanbirt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:25 pm

I have just returned from a week's trip to Ireland, mainly Co Wicklow, and wish to update the information I posted above on 7 July 07. As the Euro is now about 80 pence, the price differential in petrol prices England / Eire is now minimal - currently it works out just a very few pennies cheaper in the Irish Republic but not enough to make a significant difference. Sadly, the empty tank going / full tank returning ploy is no longer worthwhile.
[1 June 08]
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Petrol Consumption and Price Rises

Postby alanbirt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Having recently returned from a trip around Denmark and north Germany [Schleswig-Holstein], I can report that petrol prices there are even higher than in the UK. One reason is the rise in the exchange rate between the Euro and £ [80p = 1 Euro now, whereas last year it was 66p] but nonetheless energy prices there have increased for other reasons which are similar to the UK. I found that I was paying the equivalent of £1-40 [yes; one forty] per litre for 95 octane petrol so those of us in UK who are grumbling ought to be pleased they are not living in some other places elsewhere !

92 octane petrol is still available in Denmark but the price difference is so slight it was not worth considering. On the topic of octane rating, I recall the 88 octane petrol that was the standard in the former East Germany - almost 'glorified' paraffin which caused the engine to 'pink' quite badly.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Next

Return to Suzuki Carry Van