Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Odd starting problem

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Odd starting problem

Postby steamydave » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:38 am

The van always starts well usually but from time to time I turn the key, all the dash lights come on, but at the last bit of the key turn, no cranking of the starter motor. Turn the key back to second position, turn again an the engine cranks and starts straight away. It has always then started on the second attempt.

Most times it isn't a problem.

Starter motor do you think? If so, are they expensive to replace/get to?
Ignition switch connection?
Battery?

I don't understand why it is so intermittent

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Re: Odd starting problem

Postby wightman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 am

There was a recall on the carry van for a problem with the ignition switch having faulty contacts. It could be worth a check to see if applied to your van and has it been done.

W
wightman
Point of no return

Postby steamydave » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks wightman.

The thing that gets me is that it always starts on the second attempt if it fails on the first. I would imagine that a faulty switch would not be as predictable. But then anything else doesn't make sense either.

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Postby IanL » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:15 am

It is probably contamination on a switch contact, either the ignition key switch or the starter relay. Come to think of it, the relay is more likely.
IanL
Awesome

Postby decorman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi Dave

Funny that I've had the same problem only a few times with my van but only after I had a new starter motor fitted a few years ago, think it cost me about £250 fitted at the time but I was really stuck with out my van and think I got ripped off. since seen them quite cheap on ebay.

Regards
Decorman
decorman
The Welcome Party

Postby Rascal » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:28 am

Disconnect the battery!! First
And check and clean the braided earth strap and grease it, as it may be in a bad rusted state causing issues,and check all connections,and nuts :)

braided earth strap.JPG
braided earth strap.JPG (56.05 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Last edited by Rascal on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rascal
Carry Van
Korando 2.3
Triumph 2.5 PI
Rascal
Point of no return

Postby steamydave » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks, I'll have an investigation, and will have fun greasing my nuts :oops:

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Postby Les Jones » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:19 pm

My old Tonka started doing the same 2 years back, gradually became worse over time so that in the end I could be back and forth with the key for a second or a few mins, in the death I by passed the 2nd click on the key instead mounting an ignition button on the handbrake consul actually under the handbrake handle,hard to see where it was, and also the button is the same colour as the trim(Grey~black) making it double hard to see, also makes a nice anti theft bonus, because as you know the Rascally robbers only need the petrol cap cover door and there in and starting your little fella!
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return

Postby Les Jones » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:19 pm

My old Tonka started doing the same 2 years back, gradually became worse over time so that in the end I could be back and forth with the key for a second or a few mins, in the death I by passed the 2nd click on the key instead mounting an ignition button on the handbrake consul actually under the handbrake handle,hard to see where it was, and also the button is the same colour as the trim(Grey~black) making it double hard to see, also makes a nice anti theft bonus, because as you know the Rascally robbers only need the petrol cap cover door and there in and starting your little fella!
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return

Postby steamydave » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Took it to the local garage and they said they had seen something similar with another car-the barrel in the ignition switch. Answer was to mount a start button switch to replace the third key position! Sound familiar lol

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Return to Suzuki Carry Van