Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

EMS Light - Sensor ?

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

EMS Light - Sensor ?

Postby silverdream » Fri May 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi - just had the EMS light come on full time.
Van is still running fine - no engine noises etc ( apart from the norm ) and ticks over quietly just as before. I know I need to have it checked and have a sensor replaced .... thats what the AA have reported to me anyhow - anyone else had this happen ?
Can I buy the needed sensor/s and arrive at my local garage and ask them to fit said items ?

Also - anyone on here ever bought an OBD II diagnostic thingy .... never used one before and just wondered if its worth while investing in a low cost ( ebay ) offering ?

Any help - as always - greatly appreciated - hate having this light on dash all the time - very disconcerting !!!

SD.
silverdream
The Welcome Party

Re: EMS Light - Sensor ?

Postby steamydave » Fri May 13, 2016 8:14 pm

My onboard computer thingie can read the error codes, but the one time I used it, the code that came back was a bit obscure and I ended up having to google the code to find any results. It ended up being misfire on cylinder 1. I had gone through floods the day before and made it home on about 3.5 cylinders. After the engine dryer out, all was ok.

SO, just be prepared that the gadget might not give you a reading that solves your problem!

David
steamydave
Addicted

Postby wightman » Sat May 14, 2016 10:29 am

You can check the code for the Engine Management light without a code scanner. In this forum somewhere there is a link to download the workshop manual for the carry, a forum search should find it. In the manual there are instructions on how to read the codes using a bit of wire and what they mean. If you want to clear the light for the time being and are happy the van is running with no problems disconnect the battery for a minute. If the light keeps coming back on it is trying to tell you something.

W
wightman
Point of no return

Postby silverdream » Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 pm

Hey - thanks for the help guys.

To be honest I disconnected the battery as suggested - so I will keep an eye on things and see how it goes from here.
As to the tip ref the wire - I cannot for the life of me see where I should place said wire to get the code. I understand the mechanics of it ok - but looking under the rhs of the steering wheel - shows me nothing like the layout in the diagram .... add to that the fact that I am of an age where flexibility is no longer within my remit so to speak I found it an impossible task.

Once again
Thanks for info.
Cheers

SD
silverdream
The Welcome Party

Postby wightman » Mon May 16, 2016 11:52 am

The location of the place where you can use a piece of wire to check the codes is in the fuse box, which is under the front passenger seat. Page 6E-14 of the workshop manual shows a diagram of the location and where to plug in the wire, and how to read the codes via a flashing light. If your van was registered before some date in 2003 it will not have a socket near the steering wheel for a code scanner scanner.

W
wightman
Point of no return

Postby rangerman77 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi

EOBD or OBD11 is a generic diagnostic protocol, although there are a number of variations, and a cheapish reader can pay for itself in assisting with solving a problem in one go. But the code is for guidance, and an indication of, rather than telling you exactly what is wrong.

Although sometimes you can get lucky, or if its a common fault to a particular vehicle, and if you do a google search with a fault code/types of faults the vehicle is exhibiting you can usually get pointed in the right direction.

EOBD readers don't read/turn off faults with systems such as Airbags/ABS/Automatic Transmissions etc, but luckily the Carry is relatively simple and doesn't have many of these anyway,

I hope you get is sorted.

Thanks

Mark
rangerman77

Postby silverdream » Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Great guys - once again info really appreciated.
I was looking for the fuses under the dash !!

Now that I know better I can have another look at using the wire to get a code of sorts.
From what I have been told by the nice AA bloke - it is probably a sensor as everything else seems to be working as before ( hope thats accurate )

Anyhow- I will update when I find out more.
Thanks

SD.
silverdream
The Welcome Party

Postby Jabba the Cat » Sat May 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Why not just get a OBD Bluetooth plug from Ebay, they're cheap as chips(£10) and the software runs on all Android and iOS devices?
Jabba the Cat
Point of no return

Postby Rhinoman » Sat May 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Pre-2001 requires a tool that can read Suzuki's SDL protocol, it uses the same socket as EOBD (but a different pin) and that will be under the dashboard.
2000 4u2 Vitara, Calmini 3+3, 5:83s, winch bumper, 33 MTs, remapped ECU.
2000 Baleno 1.6 GS
1986 SJ413K pickup, 1.6 16V
Rhinoman
Enthusiast

Return to Suzuki Carry Van