Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Help with Exhaust Emission Failure

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Help with Exhaust Emission Failure

Postby wightman » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:14 pm

I own an X reg (2000) Suzuki Carry with 59000 on the clock. It has always sailed through the MOT but failed the emissions test this week.
HC and Lambda both fall within limits though the Lambda can vary just below the .97 limit at times. The problem is the CO which is constantly between 3.6% and 3.2% which is way above the limits of .3% and .5% for various engine speeds. The van was fitted with a new exhaust and catalytic converter in September 2015, the matrix in the old one broke up and blocked the exhaust. The cat was thought to be faulty and was replaced under warranty but the readings stayed the same with the new cat in place. No air leaks have been detected on the inlet side or on the exhaust side, the air cleaner element is clean. The only other thing of note is the HC which at 138 ppm is within limits, however on last years test it was only about 20 ppm. The van has only covered 1900 miles between MOT tests, it starts and runs well with a smooth idle and does not use oil in any noticeable quantity.
Any thoughts on what might be the cause of this problem would be very welcome.

W
wightman
Point of no return

Re: Help with Exhaust Emission Failure

Postby IanL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:42 am

Just a guess, but is the EGR ok?
Another possibility - excessive oil consumption or the level just too high.
IanL
Awesome

Postby wightman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but my van does not have EGR fitted. Various non specific Suzuki sites suggest the oxygen sensor which is cheap enough to replace and also the Denso Map sensor which is not cheap £200+ from Suzuki. When I checked with my local dealer they said they have never had the Map sensor in stock which suggests it is very reliable, the same part is used my Subaru and Izuzu. When I get a chance I will check the voltages on it now that I have found my workshop manual file again.

W
wightman
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:37 pm

As the lambda value is directly controlled by the oxygen sensor, that is very unlikely.

I did on one occesion fail emissions because the oil sump was over-full. Once I had dropped the level, and done about 30 miles to clear the combustion products, it passed.
IanL
Awesome

Postby wightman » Wed May 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Problem solved. Replaced the O2 sensor and the readings came back to the same as last year and recorded an mot emission pass.

W
wightman
Point of no return

Return to Suzuki Carry Van