Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Exclusive Low Rates on Car Finance. Buy your car from any dealer. Apply with Carfinance247.

Suzuki Carry Conversions

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Re: Suzuki Carry Conversions

Postby alanbirt » Mon May 01, 2017 3:25 pm

I bought my Carry campervan new for £14,000 in Jan 2006, a few months after my dearly-beloved wife had suddenly died. I recall the cost was £8,000 for the Carry and £6,000 for the conversion to a single-berth campervan. As a then-recent widower it was purchased to give me a 'new life' during the succeeding summers and it has done this admirably.

I have now enjoyed over ten summer seasons 'gadding about' the UK, Ireland and the near continent (Denmark; Germany; and France), happily touring around in my campervan. Most trips are for a week or ten days. The longest has been 15 days. A tour all around the edge of Scotland on the coastal roads was a fascinating journey. The vehicle has now travelled 88,235 miles.

I pay the road-tax only from May until September, for the rest of the year it is in a garage on SORN. I've just paid £132 for 6-months road-tax today but shall declare SORN on 30th Sep and reclaim one-months tax. Now commencing my twelfth season, I have already booked for ten days in Ireland later this month and for a week in the Shetland Islands, via the ferry from Aberdeen, in June. I have never stayed on a campsite and have always done 'wild-camping' (which I believe is the appropriate term).

I reckon that after my tenth season I'd had my money's-worth from the vehicle and, in effect, the initial cost had been 'used up'. So, besides the routine running costs, I had utilised £1,400 of the capital value each year. Considering the amount of fun, enjoyment, and pleasurable experiences I've had in those ten seasons, I've received very good value-for-money from the expenditure of its capital-cost. (Many two-week-holidays in the Saga brochure -- with whom I normally book my 'ordinary' holidays -- are priced at about £1,400 so that puts my calculation into perspective) That is why I now regard my campervan as having a notional value of NIL although I am aware I could probably get at least £3,000 for it on eBay. (Each day I look at the Carry prices and of similar vehicles as I have a Suzuki Carry 'permanent search' registered)

For me this Carry certainly was a good purchase: I am very pleased with the vehicle and the excellent service it has rendered to me. I consistently get a petrol consumption of 45 mpg so it is a cheap vehicle in which to make my travels.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Previous

Return to Suzuki Carry Van