Suzuki For You

Suzuki Carry Conversions

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Re: Suzuki Carry Conversions

Postby alanbirt » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 am

The website

http://www.CampervanConversion.co.uk

has just launched a new community section on its website so users can share their campervan, motorhome, and leisure vehicle projects and discuss their vehicles with other owners.
It can be found by clicking on the "Communities" link from the top of the homepage or by going straight to:-

http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/communities

There is no special section for Carry conversions yet but perhaps 'steamydave' and myself may start one.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby steamydave » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Alan,

I've started uploading stuff on the site. Very interesting how they split the projects up - wish I had seen the site for inspiration before I started.

Funny enough, I have just started to update my current steamydave site covering the conversion. I'll build them both up together.

Thanks for the link,

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Postby Orange5 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Bringing up the side window bit again. This is a simple diy job but you have to be prepared to cut big holes out of your van. A lot of vans have window panels that cover the hole and are spot welded and seam sealed in place. Drill out the spot welds and struggle with the sealer for a few hours and your factory holes are revealed. I havent seen a carry van inside but if you look where the window rubber would sit, you will sill little round spot weld marks at intervals around the seam.
Orange5
The Welcome Party

Postby carryoncamping » Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Ebay link: CARAVAN CAMPER VAN DOOR WINDOW 50CM X 35CM

ok quick question. I have an old suzuki carry van. the above window seems to be made of plastic with a rubber seal. there is a panel in the top of the door which can be removed to facilitate fitting a full-sized window. would it be possible to install this smaller plastic window by cutting a hole in the metal of that panel door and popping it into place somehow? it seems pretty straightforward but of course i refer to earlier in the post...
IT IS NOT A JOB FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED.

i would appreciate any advice. this seems like exactly the kind of window I am after for a day van/camper conversion. Seems more secure than a glass one and i am a man on a limited budget.... looks like an option that is cheap and cheerful.. though i dunno how cheerful i would be trying to install it :|
carryoncamping

Postby alanbirt » Wed May 30, 2012 8:05 am

It was me who commented "It is not a job for the faint hearted" ! It really depends on what metal-cutting tools you have available and how skilled you are in undertaking such work. Both 'keefe' and 'Chills', who are members of this forum and have undertaken this task successfully (but neither would claim to be skilled metal-workers), have posted messages on how they set about the job. It is not a task I would undertake as I know I do not have the aptitude for such handiwork.

Read about their experiences and then decide whether it is within your capabilities. The major error would be to cut a hole too big by accident or faulty measuring - an error which cannot really be undone or corrected !

Edited to correct Chills username.
Last edited by alanbirt on Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 am

Here is a novel way to double the interior size of a campervan. If it can be done for Carry campervans, then it might be of interest to those with "loads of money". I shall not bother to pursue the topic as I manage quite well in my single-berth model. See:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-Volks ... 5067664735
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby steamydave » Wed May 30, 2012 10:07 am

How clever I thought - then I saw the price and thought you could buy yourself another van for that and back the together - then I realised that it included the van! :roll:

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Postby alanbirt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I started this thread over five years ago and have watched its popularity as it increased over time. Recently I noticed it was approaching the point of 50,000 'hits' so I have been checking frequently to see when it was about to become 49,999 so I could make the score into 50,000. I am just doing so ! As the 'starter' of the topic, I think I can rightly claim the privilege of doing the 50,000th click.

Is this high score of interested people a record for this type of activity ? It seems rather strange for so many to have shown such interest over five years - that's some 10,000 each year. Or did the counter have a 'nervous breakdown' ?
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby IanL » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I think the counter is OK. The more general the thread, the higher the likelihood of it being visited, both by people and also crawler bots which compile site search databases (e.g. Google), which will visit the more popular threads more frequently, thus making them even more popular :D

There are some other threads on the board with 15,000 or so hits, so I think your score is quite feasible.
IanL
Awesome

Postby steamydave » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Alan,

I'm not surprised by this high counter. In my signature, I have a link to my suzuki carry campervan conversion photos. According to Google Analytics, 80 people visited my site by clicking on the link - this month alone! Over the year, 630 people have used the link.

Over the year, my site (in general) has had 1,948 visitors (1,557 different users), reading a total of 16,247 pages.

As there is so much interest, I am planning on re-designing and re-writing the site - especially the campervan conversion pages.

Obviously some of the hits will be from the search engines indexing the site.

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Postby carryoncamping » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:06 pm

my own research on the subject of installing side windows reveals that the rubber-seal type is old-fashioned. nowadays windows are "bonded" polycarbonate. this is essentially a fancy way of saying they are stuck on with superglue. so what i am going to do is order a piece of 6mm thick polycarbonate (note this is smash-proof and more secure than glass) from a supplier along with the appropriate adhesive. i will have the window cut with a plasma cutter if i can get my regular welder to do so. the hole should be about 10-15mm smaller on all sides than the panel to allow for the glue but the accuracy is perhaps less critical than it might be with the rubber seal type window. i will paint round the cut with black rust-proof oxide primer, leave it to cure then glue on the polycarbonate. "bobs yer uncle" sticky window. some window tinting film on the inside will finish the job off and deter prying eyes. i'm thinking more of a kind of "port hole" small window rather than a full-sized one.

what could possibly go wrong? 8)
i'll post up some photos.

the van is already kitted out for camping and has seen many happy expeditions. the reason for the window is i'm planning a trip abroad and i don't want to risk some jobsworth at the dover turning round to me and telling me my cheap ticket isn't valid and that i need to pay £200 extra for the van rate in spite of the diminuative size of the vehicle :roll:
the wording of the ferrys operator's terms and conditions doesn't specifically require a camper to be registered as such but defines a van as having "panelled sides".
carryoncamping

Re: Suzuki Carry Conversions (Van or not a Van)

Postby alanbirt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 pm

[quote="carryoncamping"] the wording of the ferry operator's terms and conditions doesn't specifically require a camper to be registered as such but defines a van as having "panelled sides".[/quote]

Yes, sometimes the problem in having a van, even if described as a 'car-based van', is that it will be regarded as a commercial vehicle and so charged at a higher rate, although it is actually being used as a 'car-equivalent'. As my Carry has full windows all round, I've not encountered this difficulty.

However, I recall an acquaintance some years ago who had this problem at the Severn Bridge. He and his brother each had Ford Courier vans. They were keen fishermen and used their vans for fishing trips and as somewhere to sleep over a weekend. As they were big fellows and had much kit with them, they couldn't use one vehicle for the trips. The brother's vehicle had extra windows fitted and so paid only the car-rate for the bridge whereas my acquaintance had to pay the commercial rate; I believe it was twice as much. The nonsense of the situation is that they had bought the vans at the same time and were registered at DVLA with consecutive numbers. The only difference was the windows !

But I don't know whether the fitting of ONE window will be sufficient to change the status of the vehicle, as 'carryoncamping' suggests. However my experience of the check-in staff at ferries is that if you have made a prior booking they don't really bother about checking the vehicle in detail unless it is obviously wrong - that is, if it is booked-in as a small car but the vehicle is clearly a big motorhome or high-capacity large van. If the registration number of the vehicle presented at the check-in booth matches that recorded for the booking in the computer then it seems everything is usually regarded as OK.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby carryoncamping » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 pm

i never did get round to the window conversion. I decided to chance it and turned up at dfds terminal for the dover to dunkirk sailing with it booked as a camper. no problem. there seemed to be a lot of other happy campers in various small vans (vw transporters etc) without side windows. this was in may.
carryoncamping

Postby mickcafc » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Heres mine
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (211.64 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
mickcafc
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:06 pm

From the private-message facility on this forum I have received a query asking for information. It seems the relevant pictures and diagram links relating to my Carry campervan posted several years ago on this thread cannot now be accessed. I understand this is because of a change in the forum-server some time ago. Should anyone be interested in seeing the plan-view diagram, the pictures showing the frame and fittings for my bunk, the rising-roof, and views of the kitchen area, then send your normal email address to me via the website private-message facility.

It is not possible to send pictures directly to forum-members via the website private-message facility.
alanbirt
Awesome

PreviousNext

Return to Suzuki Carry Van