Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Is the Carry now "worn out" ?

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Is the Carry now "worn out" ?

Postby alanbirt » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Currently I note there are at least seventeen Carry's being offered on eBay, the most I have seen up to now. As the newest is now ten years old, the importation of the vehicle ceasing in 2005, I suppose many people who have used them commercially consider they are approaching the end of their useful life. However, as mine has been used only for leisure, I have no intention of replacing it yet as I hope to get many more years of travelling about the UK, Ireland, and the near continent in my campervan.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Re: Is the Carry now "worn out" ?

Postby decorman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Interesting post by Alan, I’ve had my carry from new although it was a pre reg in September 2005 and I bought it from vans direct in March 2006 with delivery mileage. Its a real shame Suzuki didn’t bring a new model out, Its been the best van I’ve owned, a real little gem.
The trouble with the latest vans is most are diesels and you chug around town in third gear blocking up the particulate filter, new petrol vans seem to have very poor mpg, I get around 38-39 mpg round town in the carry, the engine is very forgiving in whichever gear you are in. Also noticed carrys in good condition are really holding their price maybe they will become a sort after van, think maybe they already are if the dreaded rust doesn’t eat them.

Regards
Decorman
decorman
The Welcome Party

Postby IanL » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:17 am

Actually, it lives on. Made in China by DFSK, and no longer called the Carry, but it's obvious what it is:

http://www.dfskvansales.com/category/dfsk-suzuki-carry-comparison/
IanL
Awesome

Postby Jabba the Cat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:50 am

IanL wrote:Actually, it lives on. Made in China by DFSK, and no longer called the Carry, but it's obvious what it is:

http://www.dfskvansales.com/category/dfsk-suzuki-carry-comparison/

Ermm...no, what's shown on your website is a tractor range with leaf springs at the rear, most def not a Carry...
Jabba the Cat
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Not sure what you mean by tractor. The Loadhopper van looks exactly like a Carry van, only with a different grille in the front. Did you scroll down to the lower part of the page?

As for the rear suspension, my Carry Workshop Manual shows similar springs at the rear.
IanL
Awesome

Postby Jabba the Cat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:30 pm

IanL wrote:Not sure what you mean by tractor. The Loadhopper van looks exactly like a Carry van, only with a different grille in the front. Did you scroll down to the lower part of the page?

As for the rear suspension, my Carry Workshop Manual shows similar springs at the rear.

The Carry 1.3 panel van has coil springs at the rear, which is why it handles so well compared to leaf spring vans like what you're selling and the older Suzuki vans(of which I've owned three). The price for that coil spring based suspension arrangement is a loss of height in the rear.

http://i65.tinypic.com/20peafr.jpg
Jabba the Cat
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:43 pm

I guess the Chinese still have a lot of rough roads out of town, so they prefer the better ground clearance with the leaf springs.
IanL
Awesome

Postby Jabba the Cat » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:09 pm

IanL wrote:I guess the Chinese still have a lot of rough roads out of town, so they prefer the better ground clearance with the leaf springs.

Not sure how you worked that one out given that the lowest point of clearance at the rear of the vehicle is the bottom of the rear differential...
Jabba the Cat
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:34 pm

I thought the diff was higher with the leafs than with the coils - is that not the case?
IanL
Awesome

Postby Jabba the Cat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:02 am

The diff wheel relationship is fixed with the Suzuki Carry rigid axle arrangement, they always lie on the same axis so only way you're going to increase diff bottom clearance is by increasing diameter of the wheel, the type of suspension arrangement used is irrelevant.
Jabba the Cat
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:26 am

You're right, of course. It isn't the ground clearance which is potentially improved, it's the articulation.
IanL
Awesome

Postby Jabba the Cat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Outside of possible higher loading capabilities and narrower wheel arches inside the back of a van there are no handling benefits to leaf spring suspensions whatsoever, especially with a live axle in between, the ride and handling sucks, which brings me back to my original comment that your vans are essentially tractors with wallowing rear ends...
Jabba the Cat
Point of no return

Postby steamydave » Fri May 13, 2016 7:42 pm

When the DFSK vans appeared in the UK I contacted someone high up in the UK dealerships as many dealers were putting out adverts saying they were carry vans. The guy at the top said that was wrong, they are not the same, and shouldn't be advertised as such. I gave up worrying about it after a couple of months as the adverts were still all over the place.

I have heard that they are no where near the quality of the Suzuki version, thinner metal etc. I'm sure if you search here you will find lots of conversations.

When I had my lifting roof fitted, the guys there told me they had done several installs on the DFSKs so people are buying them!

I noticed a camper version on a forecourt one time, looked very nice from a distance, but by the time I went back to have a look there were no DFSKs on the forecourt at all!

David
steamydave
Addicted

Postby alanbirt » Fri May 13, 2016 9:25 pm

Yes, I've noticed examples of these Chinese vans, often mis-described as a Carry copy or a Carry equivalent, appear on eBay every few months. They are frequently quite new, with rather low mileages and being offered at somewhat cheap prices. Certainly if they really were proper Carrys, the asking price would be double, if not more.

I have often wondered about the reasons for these vans being 'off-loaded' quite soon after the original purchase. Why are the current owners dissatisfied with their vehicles ? The Suzuki dealer that looks after my vehicles stocked them for a short time but no longer. I must ask about this when I am there next time.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby rangerman77 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi All

The price does initially make you wonder if they're worth a punt though?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DFSK-Loadhopp ... SwSgJXON3f

Cheers

Mark
rangerman77

Next

Return to Suzuki Carry Van