Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Carry Servicing Costs

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Carry Servicing Costs

Postby alanbirt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:05 am

There have been occasional comments in various threads on this forum about the cost of servicing the Carry, with some quite extortionate amounts reported as being charged. It seems a good idea to have a thread on this specific topic.

Yesterday my Carry campervan was with the Suzuki agent for its annual service and issue of a new MoT certificate. I have regularly used this garage to look after my vehicles for over 12 years. All was well, with no observations being made. I intend to apply for 6-months road-tax from 1st May.

It was due for the standard servicing at the nominal 81,000 miles point although the vehicle has a mileage of 77,656 recorded. I did not travel as much as usual over the last season. The total bill was £149.16 which includes £30 for the MoT test. I understand this bill is calculated on the basis of the standard servicing-schedule and recommended prices issued by Suzuki-GB HQ. However, as I am a regular customer and registered in their computer, I automatically receive a loyalty-discount of 15% on labour costs and 8% on parts. In addition free coffee is readily available (and real coffee, not 'instant'). Also I am given a free lift into town (about 2 miles) and then collected later whilst my Carry is worked on. What splendid customer-relations !

A year ago the bill came to £138.95 for the 72,000 miles service, including the MoT certificate, with the vehicle mileage recorded as 72,279. In 2013, the bill for the annual service plus MoT certificate cost £137.83 for the scheduled service at 63,000 miles, the actual mileage was 66,708.

From some comments made previously about servicing costs, it seems I am fortunate in my choice of Suzuki agent even though it is a 60-mile round-trip to take my vehicle there.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Re: Carry Servicing Costs

Postby brunel » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Alan regarding the cost of your recent service+MOT the price is about the same as we paid for our Wagon R to have the same done.
I know my reply is somewhat of the topic of "Carrys" but it shows that if one has a reputable service agent prices seem reasonable to say the least.
Regards

Brunel.
Owner of {my present fleet of vehicles}.
Wagon R.2007,{from new}
Sc 100{whizz kid].1979.
Carry van.2001.
Grand Vitara X-EC
Jaguar xj6.1975,{which does not belong on this forum}
brunel
Addicted

Postby alanbirt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you, 'brunel', for your input. I agree the servicing costs of the Carry and the Wagon are very similar. Whilst there may possibly be a few others, nonetheless there won't be many people like 'brunel' and myself who own both a Carry and a Wagon.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:28 am

Further to my initial posting, I have now found the details for the extensive (and therefore expensive) service of my Carry, at the 54,000 miles stage. I had this service done when my Carry had travelled 59,542 miles because I had mistakenly thought the 'big service' was at 60,000 miles. When I eventually reach the mileage of 108,000, the major service will need to be done again but now being 78, I may not get that far. However, the consequences of the damage done to the engine if the cambelt breaks makes it not worthwhile to ignore this important service-schedule.

It is a major service in the life of the Carry because it is the point when the cambelt needs to be changed. Many other jobs are given attention at this major service - for details see the Carry-owner's handbook at pages 8-3 and 8-4. There is a comprehensive list of items to be replaced or at least inspected. The cost for me of this important servicing was £446.64 which reflects the time spent carrying out the full schedule and the price of the replacement components.

The advantage of utilising the services of an accredited Suzuki agent is that one does receive official documentation certifying all the required work, as laid down in the Suzuki specifications, has actually been done and confirmed by signature. Using the services of 'Bill-the-Bodger' who operates his "garage and workshop" from a shed in a backyard will not provide this guarantee: often his invoice for work shoddily done is more than the Suzuki rate anyway.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby IanL » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:47 am

I think you did well to have the cambelt changed at 60,000. It's not just mileage which wears a cambelt - time also is a factor.

My daughter's Peugeot had only done 17,000, but it was about 13 years old, and the dealer (a Ford franchise) replaced it as a precaution before offering it for sale.

One of the advantages of living in a small island is that word soon gets around, so anyone doing shoddy work would soon lose reputation and business.
IanL
Awesome

Postby kzxr » Sun May 03, 2015 8:47 pm

I like the assumption that independents are "Bill the Bodger"! I had my timing belt changed last year by the only person I trust to look after my 1995 Rover Mini Cabriolet, he did my little vans belt and if I remember right it was about £200

A few months ago a story broke about a guy who took his Focus ST to the main dealer for servicing, his dash cam recorded their mechanics thrashing his car, they had it flat out in places at silly speeds. They lost their jobs and he was compensated.

Alan is lucky to have a main dealer he trusts but the assumption than anyone else is a bodger is a bit misplaced!
It was like it when I got here!
kzxr
The Welcome Party

Postby cap43 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Alan is lucky to have a main dealer he trusts but the assumption than anyone else is a bodger is a bit misplaced!

I agree, But, respected garages are fair and decent in there charges, or they are not,
but a bodger is still a bodger regardless of how much the cost is, a cheep job is done cheaply, with undoubtedly bits missed out,
using the - that's about tight enough - for a big end baring bolt, is just is not good for the engine, or your pocket in the long run,
Good mechanics' are found by word of mouth, not a glossy advert,
cap43
Point of no return

Postby decorman » Wed May 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Without wishing to offend anyone I would like to share my experience of a Suzuki main agent, I took my van in for a service and it came back to me with hundreds of pounds worth of sill damage, all four corners were dented.They never really told me how exactly the damage was caused but it was to do with how the van was jacked up. It then took me weeks to get them to repair it to my satisfaction.
If you look at the carry van pics on ebay many of the vans have the same damage. I would like to know what causes these jack with expendable arms to catch the sills.

Regards
Decorman
decorman
The Welcome Party

Postby Rascal » Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 am

(I would like to know what causes these jack with expendable arms to catch the sills)

Decorman
the simple answer is the (incompetent jack operator) be it at main dealers or joe bloggs garage,Totaly inexcusable, I hope they repaired them as new for you and should have been as humble as hell with it.
Rascal
Carry Van
Korando 2.3
Triumph 2.5 PI
Rascal
Point of no return

Postby kzxr » Thu May 07, 2015 6:42 pm

The arms have adjustable pads on the end, you position the arm so the pad is under the lifting point and the arm clears the sill, the pad is then screwed out until it meets the lifting point.

On some vehicles the deep sills mean there isn't enough adjustment for the pad to hit the lifting point but extended pads are provided with the lift to allow for this, they just need to be fitted at the time!

I think i'll stick to using the guy I trust!
It was like it when I got here!
kzxr
The Welcome Party

Postby cap43 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:50 am

Seems to be some glass backed mechanics about then, :lol: :lol:
cap43
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Sat May 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Thank you, 'kzxr' and 'cap43' for your contributions to this thread. I don't think my earlier posting implied that ALL non-Suzuki car repair garages are necessarily operated by 'Bill the Bodger'. I am sure many independent garages offer a good service. For example, 'steamydave' of this forum is very complimentary about the local car-repair man in his Suffolk village some miles from me and I am sure there are many others. On the other hand, not all the official Suzuki-appointed agents are necessarily held in high esteem.

The one in my local town certainly isn't. This is why I make a 60-mile round trip over the county-boundary to have my vehicles looked after by a Suzuki agent whom I have learned by experience gives a first-class efficient, honest, and reliable service. My earlier comment was, >>Using the services of 'Bill-the-Bodger' who operates his "garage and workshop" from a shed in a backyard .....<<. This implies that he probably does not have the correct or appropriate test-equipment and possibly not even a vehicle lift. I have heard of such people who raise the car by using jacks and then utilising axle-stands before working on it. Would anyone have much confidence in a dentist who intended to drill one's teeth by using Dremel handicraft drill ? Whilst I'm sure it would be possible to do such a job with primitive equipment, how much faith and reliance would anyone have in his professional and technical ability ?

As several forum-members have pointed out, I am certainly fortunate to have a good and reputable Suzuki servicing garage within a reasonable distance.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby rangerman77 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:38 am

A major service and a replacement cambelt kit has just cost me £250 at my favourite local garage - I wouldn't trust anyone else. Unfortunately, my experience of main 'stealers' has been varied, but sometimes there's no other choice.
rangerman77

Postby alanbirt » Sat May 07, 2016 1:20 pm

I've just had the annual service and MoT certificate done for my Carry at 83,366 miles. The cost was £168-96. This time the charge for the MoT certificate was £27-50 whereas in previous years it was £30 -- a rare example of a price going down ! However, the actual servicing cost has increased, see my previous quotations for annual servicings several postings above this. Yet again there were no advisories or comments on the MoT certificate.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby steamydave » Fri May 13, 2016 7:05 pm

My van has just had repairs to the front near-side sill. I suspect the damage was done before I owned the van and the rust hole finally appeared as an MOT advisory (not a failure as it wasn't in a structural location) but enough to be noted. I had been ignoring the patch ou the front of the sill but the real damage was behind.

I know for sure that the original independent garage it use didn't do it as I was always there in the workshop when it was serviced, and I trust my current garage not to do it. Great customer service. They kindly collect the van and return it for me at no extra cost. They also sorted out a slow puncture on my other car free of charge recently. There is something to be said about local/regular garages, especially if the same guys deal with your vehicle each time. The same guy has done the mot on my van now for about the 5 years. That way he gets to see how the old girl is doing year on year!

David
steamydave
Addicted

Next

Return to Suzuki Carry Van