Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Massive Mileage

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Massive Mileage

Postby decorman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm

After reading alan's post on mpg I was wondering what sort of mileage I could expect from the 1.3 carry engine, is there anyone on the forum with massive mileage showing on the clock? My silver carry is a 55reg and I’ve done 93k in it from new.

Decorman
decorman
The Welcome Party

Re: Massive Mileage

Postby alanbirt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:43 pm

An interesting topic raised by "decorman". With the last imported 1.3 Carrys being eight years old and the earliest some 15 years, it has now become a special point of interest - how much longer will they be with us ?

My Carry campervan, 55 reg and bought new in early-06, has travelled 76,000 miles which seems to be a fairly average distance according to mileages quoted in eBay advertisements for the Carry van. However, my vehicle is only used from Easter until end-Oct and is garaged on SORN over the winter. (It has never been on salted roads and shows no indication of any rust) Nonetheless, I usually cover about 9,000 miles each summer season. I have seen an eBay offer of a Carry which quoted 123,000 miles and currently there is a 2002 one-owner Carry claiming only 32,000 miles on eBay. [When I was in New Zealand and looking for a suitable vehicle to be converted into a campervan, I was surprised to find many Toyota and Nissan vans being offered for sale which had already travelled 300,000 to 500,000 kms, a few even as high as 750,000 kms (½-million miles ! ). And they were being purchased by new owners. The Nissan I bought was 115,000 kms, if my memory serves me correctly.]

But this reponse does not really answer "decorman's" question. I suggest the most important factor in achieving a long life and high mileage is how carefully the vehicle has been looked after. Since "decorman" has had his since new and uses it for his livelihood, I am sure he is taking special care of his Carry: it is in his own interest to do so. Presumably he intends to keep it as long as possible so I'm sure, with good care and regular maintenance, it is reasonable to expect 150,000 or even 200,000 miles.

Now in my late-70s, I intend that my Carry shall "see me out" (as the expression goes) so I intend to keep it until they deliver my box !
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby bonzo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 am

[quote="alanbirt"] When I was in New Zealand and looking for a suitable vehicle to be converted into a campervan, I was surprised to find many Toyota and Nissan vans being offered for sale which had already travelled 300,000 to 500,000 kms, a few even as high as 750,000 kms (½-million miles ! ). [/quote]

These high mileage, or high kilometerage(?), vans would probably not have their original engines, or gearbox, or transmission & back axle. They might but I doubt it.

Message posted by Bonzo
Bonzo
bonzo

Postby alanbirt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Yes, 'bonzo' makes a cogent point ! Proving otherwise, unless there is original documentation available quoting the engine number, will be difficult. (Hence the nonsense statement "This broom is very old and dates from 1883: it belonged to my great-grandfather and it has had only three new heads and two new handles")

Nonetheless, I suggest my basic premise is valid. If a Carry van has been well looked-after, with regular servicing, appropriate maintenance, not "flogged to death" and with prompt attention to any fault, then 200,000 miles or more should be a reasonable expectation of useful life for the vehicle. I prefer not to use the word "cherish" (as that implies an emotional attachment which is silly if referring to something inanimate) but to treasure one's Carry or regard it as a precious possession and so look after it well will bring for the vehicle the reward of long life.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:19 am

Referring back to the original message on this thread, I note that currently there is a
2004 1.3 Suzuki Carry with a mileage of 155,000 being offered on eBay (see eBay item number: 281506312774 ). The advertisement states 'one owner since new'.

One of my idiosyncrasies is that I have a permanent search on eBay for the Carry and I always check the mileage of those offered. This is the highest I have yet noted.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:32 am

Another high-mileage Carry has just appeared on eBay: see:- item no. 161498943284.

It has travelled 110,000 miles and it is worth viewing the advertisement just to see the photograph. The colour of the Carry is a bright pink ! The advertisement says, "... owned by the same lady owner for the last 7 years". Well, I would be rather doubtful about HIM if it stated otherwise !
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby oldvanman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:57 pm

alanbirt wrote:Another high-mileage Carry has just appeared on eBay: see:- item no. 161498943284.

It has travelled 110,000 miles

That would be just run in around here. I travel up to 2,500kms a week.

eBay item number: 141490013115

His English is not the best...
Suzuki Carry good reliable little van with lot of km on clock 420000 to be correct but steel firing on all four and going grate rate.Ruff inside no rego going CHEEP.
Owner of
8 Carry vans
1 Carry Ute
7 GLX Balenos
2 Ignis
2 Holden Cruze (Ignis AWD)
1 Liana
Range Rover Vogue
3 LR Discoveries
4 Volvo 850
Volvo V70
Other Stuff:
40 Bedford CFs
2 Bedford TKs
Plus lots of other cars, vans, trucks.
oldvanman
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:49 am

Further to my earlier posting about a Carry being offered on eBay that had travelled 155,000 miles, I note it attracted no bids. Presumably the high mileage was a detrimental factor. However I now see it is being offered again at a lower starting-price and has gained two bids so far (see item no: 281525491616 ).

"oldvanman" has commented on the high mileages often achieved in Australia by motor vehicles which echoes my original posting on this thread about the similar situation which I have noted during my visits to New Zealand. The Carry he quotes with a recorded 420,000 kms equates to about 266,500 miles. My vehicle's mileage is less than one-third of this. At nearly 78, I don't think I shall live long enough to beat that distance in my Carry campervan !
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:17 pm

My posting above is now out-of-date as the Carry with a mileage of 155,000 offered for sale on eBay has been withdrawn. Apparently it has been sold by private purchase.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby bluecarryvan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:42 pm

have got over 130,000 miles on my 2002 and its doing fine, a fair bit of general corrosion underneath and the back door is being eaten by rust worms otherwise its all good. have just replaced the full exhaust system
bluecarryvan

Postby alanbirt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Over the past ten days, eight high-mileage Carry vans have been offered on eBay:-

A 'T' reg model from 1999, probably one from the first batch to be imported, which has recorded mileage of 129,855.

A '51' reg Carry, mileage said to be 129,000

A '04' reg van citing a mileage of 125,047

A '04' reg model with 139,000 mileage

A '05' reg Carry quoting a mileage of 124,026

A '05' reg model showing a mileage of 117,000

A '55' reg van with a stated mileage of 129,500

A '55' reg Carry, mileage 110,000

So it seems the mileages of "decorman's" Carry, and mine too, are well 'below par' !

As a contrast, there is a 'W' reg (a very early 1300cc Carry), so 15 years old, with only 37,000 miles recorded, an average of about 2,500 miles each year. It is said to be a Suzuki dealer's 'in-house' local transport vehicle used only for collecting spare-parts, tyres, lunchtime sandwiches, etc.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:05 am

Currently being offered on eBay is another high-mileage Carry, the second from the top on the list which I have compiled so far. It is X-reg (Oct 2000) and has completed 152,000 miles. It is an interesting colour - dandelion-yellow ! The vehicle, and driver's seat in particular, appears to be in good condition. High-mileage Carrys often have the driver's seat badly worn by the constant 'in-and-out' usage of the vehicle.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby MrSnappy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 pm

alanbirt wrote:Currently being offered on eBay is another high-mileage Carry, the second from the top on the list which I have compiled so far. It is X-reg (Oct 2000) and has completed 152,000 miles. It is an interesting colour - dandelion-yellow ! The vehicle, and driver's seat in particular, appears to be in good condition. High-mileage Carrys often have the driver's seat badly worn by the constant 'in-and-out' usage of the vehicle.

I think this might be mine! Bought last weekend from Berkshire.Was also recently used for film work.
MrSnappy

Postby alanbirt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Yes "MrSnappy", your Carry was the one I saw offered on eBay. The advertisement mentioned it had been used for some work in a film studio. I was much impressed by the colour. (My Suzuki Wagon is mimosa-yellow)
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby MrSnappy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi Alan,

I've never been keen on yellow cars. But I've changed my mind now (obviously).

Been driving it about for a week now. Only things wrong are the rear doors not opening properly and the clutch is a bit low. Apart from that, drove all the way from Berks to Bristol without incident. Impressed so far.

The film it was in is "Now you see me 2". Which I will definitely be going to see, even if it is only for a fleeting glimpse. He also had a baby blue Carry pick up for sale and a Tuc Tuc.

It's a bit of a departure from my previous vehicle, which was a 1988 Skoda Rapid 130. But I like to have unusual vehicles and this definitely fits the bill!

Hopefully it will serve me well as my transport for my dog walking business I am about to embark on.

Richard
MrSnappy

Next

Return to Suzuki Carry Van