Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Annexed tent for side door or back door info needed

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Annexed tent for side door or back door info needed

Postby Les Jones » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Hello, A while ago on the forum some one was after a rear tent for changing into wet suits etc, well as an avid camper and having always used an Oztent and reversed the van into that I wondered is there any other makes out there that are made to do the same job -maybe one you have or have used in the past that fit snugly around the rear / side door of the van that are not as large as the Oztent when folded down ( The Oztent once bagged up is over 2 metres long as it is all one unit Inc frame) I will still need some room for storage and sitting down in but not as much as I have now put my bed in rear of the van, also as l go fishing and shooting in Wales for the lads weekend away,it's safer to sleep with the KIT locked up with me. So if you have any info please let me know, or if you have one to sell I would be very interested.
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return

Re: Annexed tent for side door or back door info needed

Postby StanFlintstone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Les,
I'm in a similar situation. I use the van for overnights when away fishing or camping /canoeing.
I too use the van for a bedroom and to keep my kit secure.
I'm looking into fitting an 'awning rail' along the roof line above the gutter. This would allow the use of one of the 'standard' 'Awnings/Tents generally available or a 'Khayam' tent/shelter.
The only issue I can see with this so far is keeping the 'rails' clear of muck.
There are adapter strips (figure of 8) to provide a joint betwen the two (If necessary).

Currently I am using a large Tarp anchored on the blind side of the van and supported by poles on the 'open' side. I have used a Tarp and extension poles reaching outwards from a fitted roof rack but the Roof Rack mounts block the gutters, not the best idea.

I'm also looking at 'Roof Rails' (not found any so far!) that can be fitted along the roof length to provide an anchor point for an Awning or Tent, with or without awning rail.

There is a 'Baker Tent' made by Green outdoor' as an alternative to the OZtent. It's good but a mite expensive too. I have their 'Bivouac Shelter' which I use facing the van side entry with the Tarp joing the two of them. Works well, even had a fire underneath!!!!

StanFlintstone
StanFlintstone

Postby Les Jones » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:37 pm

cheers for the info I'm still looking for the ideal awning and have found a maker in Scotland called Caranex-again expensive around £350, I have checked on ebay sites etc and have found only one for sale in the last 6 months unfortunatly it was for an estate car, if you check the site the list the one for the Rascal so I keep my fingers crossed for one to turn up. Les
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return

Postby StanFlintstone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:53 am

Hi, Got your message, had seen the "Annex"in photos before but so far been unable to source it.
I'm sure they weren't there before!
I'll pay them a visit a Cuan Ferry probably around Easter and let you know. The pics on the website show it with a Rascal but I'd like to see for myself before purchasing.(I go around that way sometimes on my wanderings with the canoe)
Fortunately the family car is an Estate so I can get dual use. The Carry is my 'awayday' home.
Rgds

Stan Flintstone
StanFlintstone

Postby StanFlintstone » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi again,
Found a message on a web forum with a few criticisms of the "Annex".
Main one being the flat roof in which rainwater can 'pool'.
Other was that when the vehicle is drawn away and the tent is left free standing it's almost impossible to get the vehicle back into it satisfactorily so you have to basically re-pitch the tent.

There was a suggestion to look for "SUV Tents" on Google. There's quite a lot available, even in the UK.

Stan Flintstone
StanFlintstone

Postby pdc4770 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:43 pm

This caught my eye,
http://www.packashack.co.uk/
though I have no personal experience of its products. The company has been around for a few years so should be trustworthy.
pdc4770

Postby StanFlintstone » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi,
I found this tent in Go Outdoors. Freedom Trail Walhala 5.
After some detailed measuring It appeared to fit all of the requirements for an Annex to the Van, particularly in the height of the front 'porch'.
As there were only two left I took a chance and bought it as it was reduced to £99 from £170 (!)
Initial setting up was the usual method, all poles to the outer fitted and anchored to give the basic frame structure. (the Inner tent and ground sheets (supplied) were not inserted at this time).
With all 'entries' secured it is pretty solid although I will add extra guy lines later, as I always do.

The Van was then backed up, in line, with the front 'porch'.
The 'Front door' to the 'porch' area was rolled back and secured at the roof pole line, ties provided.
The points where the front porch poles were anchored were marked.
The Front porch poles were unsecured from the grounding points and the 'porch' allowed to fall backwards to the Tent. (3.4&7)
The Van rear door was opened up and the van backed towards the tent so that the rear door hinge was in line with the markings identified for the front porch poles' anchor points.
The front porch was then lifted, by the poles, so that the 'porch' pole line was set into the space of the rear door hinge line. The poles were secured to the ground and the (now) side flaps of the 'front door' secured forwards. (5)
(A bonus was that the 'rolled' front door now securely fills that space giving extra water proofing)
Placed correctly, the tent and Van are a perfect fit and the 'Side door' access to the porch area is perfectly useable.(2)

The Inner tent and groundsheets can be fitted as 'normal.
Removal of the vehicle to leave the tent free-standing is by reverse of this procedure.

Excellent result. At £99 I think it's a bargain and works even better than the Car Annex (so far!)

Tent is still advertised available at Go Outdoors £99.00

Stan Flintstone
StanFlintstone

Postby cap43 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 pm

I have a Suzuki carry 1.3, I recently purchased a ARUA 3 awning,
The awning just fits snug around the back of the van,
I tie the top strings to the roof rack,
The side wings peg out as norm down the side of the van.
I need the front metal struts/legs bent in more so as to raise the roof a little as it seems too low & causes the tail gate to not open fully, ( I bumped my head on the door ) not a thing I normally do when walking to the back of the van, I`m 5`6" tall, maybe I should just leave out the front struts and tie direct to the van ??
it can be a drive away but only the back of the awning would have a door, where the van leaves would be open,
Take a look. its from GO OUTDOORS, £75.00 aprox,
cap43
Point of no return

STEALTH CAMPING & ANNEX TENTS IDEAS TO THINK ABOUT

Postby Les Jones » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello Fellas,
Now a while ago I was after a side tent or rear annex tent for "Tonka" my Carry as like a few on here I'm an avid camper but instead of sleeping in a tent I use my van to sleep in, much more comfortable and warmer then a tent, and as for sleeping on the ground NO CHANCE! with my old back, no lads l rough it with a wall to wall 6" thick high density foam caravan double bed that fits a treat thank you very much heheh!
Well lads l use it on Camping sites in Wales every summer, where if you have a tent pitched up alongside the van that is separate from the van (Not attached as an annex tent would be) the site only charge you for sleeping in the tent, the van goes for free, the smaller the tent the smaller the charge, the average cost is £5.00 for a small 2 man tent per night, or £30 per week, really I just use the tent as a "Shed" for my excess gear I've carried in the rear of the van thus clearing the sleeping area out -happy days!
Doing it this way with the tent works out half the price of booking in Tonka as a camper van remember site owners will charge for a Campervan if it has an attached side awning or Annex tent on the rear as its only usually camper vans that normally will have these features, and in doing it this way with lowers site costs, and then allows me to go several times throughout the Summer months instead of maybe twice, this really works out for me and the site, the site owners are happy as it earns more from me with my multiple visits instead of maybe two visits a year, and they seem fine with this arrangement as they have visited my little camp plenty of times for a tea or cold beer and obviously can see I'm sleeping in the Carry van, so it seems everyone's a winner!
This only works of course if you can park on site alongside your tent, most campsites allow this, but some do have separate car parks, in which case pay the full cost for that night and move on in the morning to a site that allows parking next to your tent.
I also enjoy what has come to be known as "Stealth Camping" when taking city breaks overnight, I love to visit Markets and large Car boots Sale sites throughout the UK and Europe, there are usually no campsites near or by in the centre of a large city, so I find a pay car park, get tucked up in a corner somewhere out of the way and spend a very comfortable night there, I will if possible and if any present inform any Security or Night staff I will be in and out etc all night and mostly they seem fine with it, it seems this is usual practice for many market traders who sleep with there goods on board, plus I've got to know most of the Car Parks where this overnighting seems to go on having met many others there that do it, as far as the Insurance side of it is concerned I can't find any clauses in the policy wording that say I can't sleep in my van under my currant Commercial van policy but I will look further into that side of it this year and pay any excess for doing so if needed.
Now I've never had any problems or interrupted sleep doing this, and in the morning after a cuppa, I'm then off to a local swimming pool for a nice swim and a hot shower and shave, fresh change of Clobber and then off to find a proper working mans Café for a spot of full English breakfast and a read of the morning newspaper, or God forbid a McDonalds if need be.
Over the last year I've got to know the best quiet sites to park up in the areas I'm visiting, as well as the nicest swimming pools and Cafes, good Boot sales and markets always warrant return visits from time to time, and you do learn the best places to "Stealth Camp" the longer you do it, and of course all this saves a fortune on an overnight Hotels etc or indeed having to go through all the aggro of having to book places to stay, there is always a carpark open everywhere, and as this way there's always room at the Inn, and at Scrooge prices hehe!
The average cost of it all, with the parking fees , plus a swim plus a good breakfast approx. £20 - £25, and the most I've paid even in central London was £60 for the weekend, this method of staying over is now used by many City workers etc, as train commuting and accommodation near to where they are employed is now cash wise impossible for many to afford, and apparently from London to New York is now a way of life for many!
TONKA is the ideal size of van for this lark - as it fits under multi story car parks with no problems and has opened an all year round get away option for me personally, and maybe this year even the Wife with the Xmas markets all coming up in a month or so, (May have to take a Potaloo with me if the Wife comes overnight) but there is easily plenty of very comfortable room for two in Tonka, and in this case for my style of camping, you can see keeping that it pays me to keep Tonka van looking from outside totally box standard as its a must really for blending in, now doing this Stealth camping lark when staying in carparks it is a very big money saver - I estimate over the past year I have saved a minimum in fees etc around £200 a month - that's 2.5k this year easily, and better then that I have had a cracking weekend away come rain or shine every weekend, every weekend throws a new adventure my way - Magic!
Please note if this interests you there are many sites on the Web about the subject (Stealth Camping) plus the site I visit for info' ( pinterest.com ) covers any internal van modifications you may want to make that makes it more comfortable specifically for Stealth Camping (Remember when camping it must look just like a normal van from the outside to passing foot and road traffic) it helps with many interesting hints and tips, just make allowances as it is an American site but at least the measurements used on any builds shown are all in feet and inches which suits an old school fella like myself !
So I hope this interests some of you and maybe starts the germ of an idea in the back of your Norrys and you fancy getting out there and staying out doing a bit of "Stealthing" like me after alls said and done it turns the weekends into a bit of an adventure for me as I said, and how can you say no to a weekend away, both nights for maybe a maximum of a Bull's-eye? (£50)
So get out there in your Carryvan get a bit of stealthy camping in and have a laugh !
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return

Postby rangerman77 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi

We have previously used an Outhouse Handi Xl with our Bedford Rascal Romahome, and intend to try this with the Carry as we kept it when we sold the previous 'van.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Revol ... SwAvJXArsS

Cheers

Mark
rangerman77

Postby Les Jones » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Nice one Mark cheers Mate!
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return